About this blog:
My goal is to build a bridge of understanding between those who grieve and those who wish to help them. Death is an uncomfortable subject for most of us to speak about. (Oh, you should see the looks on people’s faces when I tell them my blog is “What to Say When Someone Dies.” Awkward!) But death will (eventually) touch us all. By sharing what I’ve learned since my husband’s death and after other losses*, I hope to alleviate some of the bruising on those left behind by the Reaper’s touch.
About me, Teresa TL Bruce:
Yes, I’m a widow, but that’s not all I am. I’m a freelance proofreader, editor, and writer. Words can be powerful tools, and there’s something wonderful about mending broken words, isn’t there? (Yes, I was the girl in school who liked diagramming sentences.) I enjoy writing suspenseful–and sometimes humorous–stories with an unexpected twist. (Thanks for raising me on Saturday morning black and white Creature Feature movies, Dad!) My backyard garden is chemical-free (meaning the pests harvest more than their share, sometimes more than mine), and my very odd dog loves me.
*Please also see “How I learned what to say when someone dies” at https://tealashes.com/2013/08/08/how_i_learned_what_to_say_when_someone_dies/.
About my writing:
Non-fiction in books:
- “The Visitor’s Secret,” Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive for Kids (2013)
As a guest on other blog sites:
- “The Sister, the Beast, and the Invitation to Love” posted 2/22/14 at http://segullah.org/daily-special/the-sister-the-beast-and-the-invitation-to-love/
- “Eggplant Elegy” (honorable mention in Segullah’s annual essay contest) posted 3/15/14 at http://segullah.org/genre/contest-honorees/eggplant-elegy/
- “After School Snack,” The Florida Writer, Winter 2014, Volume 7, Number 4, page 22
- “Clearing the Field,” The Florida Writer, Fall 2013, Volume 7, Number 3, page 28
- “The Gardener,” FWA Collection, Volume Five–It’s A Crime (2013)
- “Hands at the Wheel,” FWA Collection, Volume Four–My Wheels (2012)
- “The Inevitable,” FWA Collection, Volume Three–Let’s Talk (2011)
- “Stained Glass,” FWA Collection, Volume Six–The First Step (2014)
(For more details please see “My Published Writing” page at https://tealashes.com/my-published-writing/.)
Do you have questions about what to say when someone dies?
Leave a comment or contact me by:
Facebook page: Teal Ashes (www.facebook.com/TealAshesbyTeresaBruce)
[…] of my editor colleagues, Teresa Bruce, neatly summarized the way to deal with […]
LikeLiked by 1 person